In my mind there is no better salad than and this classic combination of perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes and creamy burrata. This salad is so simple, for it to be great, each ingredient needs to be very high quality. I recommend hitting your local farmers market to get the very best tasting tomatoes.
- 5-10 varying sizes and variety of heirloom tomatoes
- 5 oz of burrata cheese, torn into pieces (regular fresh mozzarella can be substituted)
- 1 small shallot, sliced very thin into rings
- 10-15 fresh basil leaves
- 1 small Fresno or jalapeño sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- Good quality flake sea salt, (fleur de sel or maldon)
- fresh ground black pepper
Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and arrange on a large platter in a single layer. Evenly disperse the burrata a over the tomatoes. Scatter the shallot, chilies and the basil leaves over the entire platter. Evenly drizzle the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil over the dish and finish with salt and pepper.